CASA’s thinking is that drone operator’s need general aviation knowledge in line with a private pilot’s licence, as well as specific drone skills.

To fly an RPA of any size for commercial reward you need an drone operator’s certificate and an drone operator’s certificate (UOC) for your business.

Additional ratings include a flight radio operator’s licence, and experience on the type of drone operated.

Link to (australia) CASA approved operator’s


What are RPA?

The term RPA refers to remotely piloted aircraft, but these aircraft are also known as drones. The term drone includes not only the aircraft, but all the ground support equipment and personnel.
The operations CASA approves provide many safety benefits and serve the public good. CASA (and the international aviation regulator ICAO) refers to these as remotely piloted aircraft (RPA). This term emphasis that there is a human ‘in the loop’, controlling and overseeing the aircraft, even if that person remains on the ground.
RPA come in all shapes and sizes, from those that are as big as a 737 to some that will fit in the palm of your hand. RPA can be used for such purposes as firefighting, search and rescue, disaster relief, border patrol, weather monitoring, hurricane tracking and law enforcement.


Leave a Reply